I can't believe that tomorrow is New Year's Eve and then the door is closed on 2013. 2013 has been an incredible, and at times, completely overwhelming year. Stress, challenges, fun, food and amazing moments. That's what I love about going through my Project Life album, I can see, reflect and most importantly be grateful for all of the experiences.
This post though isn't about Project Life, it's about a list of my favourite things of 2013!
Best Movies of 2013
This year I saw 101 films at the cinema. Fifty-six of those movies were at the Melbourne International Film Festival over an intense two week period! I've seen some incredible films (and some not so incredible films). So here is my list of my top twenty films of 2013:
- Wadja - This movie is my number one because it has stuck with me and I still can't shake it. The first film made by a female director from Saudi Arabia that has publicly screened was just phenomenal. The story, a simple story of a girl and a bike that most of us would take for granted, was so controversial in Saudi that it was almost not released. An incredible film and incredible story. Breathtaking.
- In a World - In any other year this would have been number one. This film filled my heart with joy so much so that my ribs hurt with happy.
- Valentine Road
- What Maisie Knew
- Before Midnight
- Much Ado About Nothing
- Spring Breakers
- The Rocket
- Blue Jasmine
- Stories We Tell
- The Spectacular Now
- A Highjacking
- The Punk Singer
- The Hunt
- The Place Beyond the Pines
- The Way, Way Back
- Stranger by the Lake
- Fruitvale Station
- Nothing Bad Can Happen
Honorable mentions: Frances Ha; Manuscripts Don't Burn; The Act of Killing; Ain't Them Bodies Saints; Enough Said.
My non-feature cinema highlight was the NT Live 50th Anniversary Show - this was absolutely fantastic! If you ever get a chance make sure that you see this. The History Boys scene just warmed my heart with happy.
Best Books of 2013
My reading goes in fits and starts - sometimes I am totally consumed by books and I inhale them over a matter of hours or days, but other times it is a tough slog over months. The pace I read often doesn't correlate with how much I loved a book. I was surprised at how much I read this year and here are some of my favourites in no particular order:
- Everything is Perfect When You A Liar - Kelly Oxford
- The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
- Mr Wilson's Cabinet of Wonder - Lawrence Weschler
- Murder in Mississippi - John Safran
- Crazy Rich Asians - Kevin Kwan
- The Celestine Prophecy - James Redfield
- Happy Yoga - Steve Ross
Best Albums of 2013
Ok, so I didn't buy heaps of albums - but the albums that I bought I really enjoyed. Some of them have been on high rotation since coming into the collection! Here are my favourites of the year:
- Days are Gone - Haim
- Shotgun Karaoke - Paul Dempsey
- Role Model - Bodyjar
- Magna Carter/Holy Grail - Jay Z
- Reflektor - Arcade Fire
Best Live Shows of 2013
I was lucky to get to see a number of live shows in 2013, so spoilt! It was so great to share these moments with some of my favourite people! Loved it! Here are the best:
- Bruce Springsteen
- You Am I
- 6000 Miles Away (dance)
Best Eats of 2013
Eating out is one of the things that Ash and I love doing - in fact if we didn't do it so much we'd probably own a home by now! Eating out is one of those moments of pure joy, laughter and sharing. Here are some of my favourite meals:
- The set menu at The Garden at Spa Bontanica on Sentosa - an amazing meal after an incredible day at a beautiful spa.
- Chilli Crab at Jumbo Seafood - Singapore
- Breakfast Grains Salad - Touchwood, Richmond
- The Son-in-Law Eggs - Gingerboy, Melbourne
- The Beef Ribs - Masak Masak, Collingwood
- Jalepeno Hot Dog - Rockpool Sydney
- Ash's homemade lasagna - at home, Prahran.
So that is it. The year that was. Let me know what your highlights were, I'd love to know.
I can't wait to see what 2014 has in store. L xx